Fully funded MSc by Research in Computer Science – Apply now
Get a fully-funded MSc by Research in Computer Science at the University of Lincoln.
Two scholarships are on offer for this one year course in collaboration between the University of Lincoln and Samsung Electronics. Funding will cover your tuition fees and a salary of £14,400 p/yr.
Your research project will be part of a larger industry-academia project that will develop a state-of-the-art spoken dialogue system using machine learning techniques—deep learning in particular.
The candidates should posses excellent programming skills in the most popular programming languages, good background of mathematics, and knowledge (experience desirable) of machine learning with special focus on supervised and reinforcement learning.
You will be responsible for contributing to the development of the targeted machine learning framework, to its application for speech-based information-seeking systems, and to system evaluation in both simulation and realistic environments.
The MSc students will be supervised by Dr Heriberto Cuayáhuitl at the School of Computer Science, with potential co-supervision from the Lincoln Centre for Autonomous Systems. Positions will be based at the University of Lincoln with the opportunity to spend a short time at Samsung Electronics in Seoul, South Korea.
While these positions are open to overseas applicants, funding will only be available up to the UK/EU fee rates. Overseas students will be responsible for self-funding for the remainder tuition fees.
Applications close 4th August 2016 (or until the position is filled) Interview Notifications on 5th August and interviews are to be held on the 8th August.
- You must have a high standard undergraduate degree at UK 1st class or 2:1 level (or international equivalent)
- You must be fluent in spoken and written English; Non-native speakers of English who did not study in an English speaking country will be required to have IELTS 6 with a minimum of 5.5 in each element.
- You must have excellent communication skills and be able to organise your own work and prioritise work to meet deadlines
- Strong academic track record and practical software skills are desired
How to apply
If you wish to discuss any details of the project informally, please contact Dr Heriberto Cuayahuitl . All applications must be sent to PGR Mailbox with the subject field: “[Msc-2016-Lincoln-Deep-Learning]” Applications must include the following:
- Full CV, with a list of any significant course projects and/or industrial experience
- A 2-page research statement indicating what you see are interesting research issues
relating to the above MSc topic description and why your expertise is relevant
- Academic transcripts/grades
Applications will be assessed as they arrive. Selected applicants will then be encouraged to submit a formal application online via the relevant website.
For further information about the School of Computer Science, please visit: www.lincoln.ac.uk/home/socs/
For information about the Lincoln Centre for Autonomous Systems (L-CAS) research activities, please visit: https://lcas.lincoln.ac.uk/wp/